Who is eligible?
Eligibility is determined by Developmental Services Ontario (DSO). However, anyone who is 18 years or older and has a developmental disability may apply for the program. Caregivers are encouraged to begin the application process when the individual has reached 16 years of age so that supports are in place when they have completed school.
What can Passport Funds be used for?
Passport funding is person directed giving individuals the opportunity to purchase supports that fit their own personal needs and interests. The funding can be used for:
- Community Participation and Activities of Daily Living
- Paying for a Support Worker
- Caregiver Respite (in and out of the home)
- Person Directed Planning (up to $2,500)
- Administration supports (up to 10% of funds)
What are examples of Community Participation and
Activities of Daily Living?
- Arts and Culture: Admission to the movies, music lessons, art lessons, concert tickets, sporting events
- Skills Development: Tutoring, computer classes, driving lessons, money management, meal planning and preparation, community safety awareness
- Recreational Activities: Summer camps, sports leagues, swimming lessons, fitness clubs
- Employment and Volunteering: Support worker assistance, job coaching, resume building, volunteer registration
- Transportation: Monthly transit passes, bus / train tickets, taxi fees, mileage coverage to community participation
Who manages the Funding?
The Passport program allows individuals and their caregivers a variety of options:
- Flexibility and opportunity to manage their own funding and hire their own supports
- Use up to 10% of the funding allocation to pay a community based agency to administer the funding on their behalf
- A combination of the above
Do I have to reapply for Passport every year?
Once Passport funding is allocated, the amount is automatically renewed every year for as long as the program runs.
How do I apply for an increase in my Funding?
Requests for funding increases can only be processed through the local DSO office. The local DSO office can be reached at: 1-855-277-2121 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org